Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm Jewish Too

One of my biggest pet peeves is when religious Jews turn their nose up at Jews such as myself. Am I not Jewish? Did my family not leave Europe in 1934 with so many other jews to leave behind religious persecution? 

I've had my Bat Mitzvah.

I maintain a synagogue membership and remain active in the local Jewish community as best I can. 

I am open about my inner Jew (something so many American Jews are not).

Really? Am I not Jewish? 

I was bothered to read this article. The news article documents a new Israeli law that the Knesset is trying to push through. The short version of this story is that Jews like me living in the Diaspora (outside of Israel) would not be considered Jewish and therefore not be granted Israeli citizenship on the spot anymore. 

Excuse me? Let me remind these crazy ultra orthodox rabbis that it's Jews like me that send millions of dollars every year to Israel and lobby to get our government here to protect Israel and help it as much as possible. Now you try to say that I'm not Jewish enough to be given citizenship?

What about the reformed Jews that serve in the army in Israel? None of the ultra orthodox Jews do their time in the army, they are all exempt. And yet they would turn to their fellow country men and women who fight for them and say that they're not Jewish enough? 

This is very upsetting, although not surprising. The orthodox have always looked upon us reformed Jews as half breeds. I am not half of anything.  The orthodox need to calm down and think long and hard before they alienate the overwhelming majority of the world Jewry. 

I have always said that I would be more than happy to go live in Israel, but it will be a sad day when that isn't even an option anymore. 

I suggest that every Reformed Jew in America write a letter to Netanyahu and let him know that the day that we are no longer welcome to move back to Israel is the day that we stop giving so generously. Tell him that Yenta sent you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment